Monday 11 January 2021

In A Vase On Monday -

Hello Everyone

It's been quite a while since I've been able to join in with Cathy's In A Vase On Monday over on her blog, Rambling in the Garden . Getting round the garden was for a time quite difficult for me - my arthritic hip didn't make it easy - but I've been able to venture out more recently. Nothing too ambitious. Just a wee stroll down to the woodland area and back again but it's been a real pleasure to check for signs of spring again. I can see buds on branches and bulbs just starting to push through - promises of what's to come. 

I couldn't resist picking a few of those budding twigs for this week's vase. There's the elder, Sambucus nigra 'Black Beauty', Winter Jasmine Jasminum nudiflorum, Sarcococca 'Winter Gem', the variegated myrtle Myrtus apiculata 'Glanleam Gold'. I've added a snip of ivy, a last hip from the climbing rose 'Arthur Bell' and the dry coppery leaves from the beech tree growing down in the woodland area. Many years ago that beech was brought as a tiny sapling all the way from a nursery discovered on the edge of Loch Ness. It's now a lot bigger, a lot taller too, and a year long delight. 

So that's what's in my vase today. No flowers but beautiful nonetheless. Thanks for looking in and do pop over to Cathy's blog, Rambling In The Garden, to see what she and other keen gardeners have found to put in a vase this Monday. 

5 comments:

Stasher said...

Pleased to hear you are recovering, and even indoors you will enjoy watching some pretty leaves from your garden, and remember the beautiful roses which matured into fine rosehips.

Cathy said...

Thank you for my Christmas card Elizabeth - it was good to hear from you and I hope you both had a pleasant but safely isolated Christmas. I know you will be taking things suitably easy but I am pleased you were motivated enough to seek contents for a Vase on Monday - the foliage is lovely, especially the beech. Did you know you can preserve the leaves in glycerin? They retain their colour beautifully. Was it the nursery on the north side, on a banked site reaching up from ground level? If so, I know exactly where you mean!

Kris Peterson said...

I'm sorry your hip has been bothering you, Elizabeth, but I'm glad to hear that you're able to meander about a bit now and I hope you continue to improve. Your arrangement is indeed beautiful and a nice nod to the winter season.

LesleyG said...

So glad you managed to get out and enjoy the garden, and what a lovely idea to put some in a vase to enjoy xxx

Sandra H said...

A garden is a great place how lovely you where able to get out in yours after having trouble with your hip hope it improves quickly your vase is lovely got a nice arrangement in it too stay safe x