Wednesday 2 September 2020

What's On Your Workdesk Wednesday - Week 587

 Hello Everyone,

Late again! No good excuse except that my workload has either increased due to Mr W's Covid induced incapacity, my preferred excuse, or I'm just slowing down - hard to admit, but true nonetheless. Whichever, I'm still late to Julia's weekly WOYWW party over at the Stamping Ground

And before I reveal what's on my desk, I need to apologise to everyone I didn't manage to visit and leave a comment with last week. I did try, honestly, but I just ran out of time. I'm trying. When he's being flippant Mr W would say I can be very trying indeed :)  Enough of my grovelling! Here's what's on my desk today. 


Still scrapbooking - it's what's keeping me sane at the moment. (I won't go on, but there's an increased incidence of the dreaded virus in our area which means we could be back in lockdown imminently.) And just for my own entertainment, I'm working my way through a pile of mini kits I put together a while ago - last year, I think. The papers in this one look perfect for the wedding photo of my lovely cousin, Rachel, and her hero, Chris. 

And many thanks to Jan, aka LLJ, who sent the lovely notecard you can see lying on the keyboard. She, like many of you, has been so kind while we've been poorly, regularly getting in touch and asking how we're doing and sending best wishes. Needless to say, it all helped immensely and I am so grateful for all the concern shown. It's the friendships made through this blog, and especially through Julia and her What's On Your Workdesk Wednesday, that have meant, and continue to mean, so much to both of us. Our thanks go to you all. 

And now a sort of return to the book bit.

Note: not the usual audiobooks but real, have to pick them up and read, printed on paper books. When I was able to do not much more than just keep breathing these books kept my interest from day to day, and they continue to do so. It all started with the audiobook of 'Wonderland - A year of Britain's Wildlife Day by Day' by Brett Westwood & Stephen Moss. I thoroughly enjoyed listening to the authors taking me through the year on audio. But it didn't take long for me to realise that really what I needed was the printed version so that I'd be able to check out each daily entry on the date itself. And the search for the book online led me to 'Every Day Nature' by Andy Beer, which is subtitled 'How noticing nature can quietly change your life'. For me, that has proved to be so true. This book has beautiful illustrations throughout. I now know so much more than I ever thought I would about our native wildlife - from the Emperor Dragonfly to Woody Nightshade, Montagu's Harrier to Wart-Biter Cricket!  And the two bird books? They're old faithfuls that have been around for years!

That's it from me this week. As ever, I'm looking forward to catching up with you all, over at The Stamping Ground

Take care and stay safe.

11 comments:

Lunch Lady Jan said...

I'm just glad that you and EM are feeling a wee bit better - it's been a tough few months for you both. Those books sound amazing, I love the sound of the daily nature one....proper books, there's something about them that ereaders, no matter how convenient, just don't satisfy.
Lovely scrapbooking btw, I do enjoy seeing what others get up to even if I don't want to do it myself!
Hugs and love to you both,
LLJ 2 xxx

shazsilverwolf said...

Hi Elizabeth, good to hear you are both continuing to improve. Laughing at the 'flippant' comment, Doug often says the same to me,lol. Those are lovely papers on your desk, perfect for a wedding photo.Stay safe, have a lovely week, Hugs, Shaz #14 X

glitterandglue said...

Hi Elizabeth. It's so good to see you here today. I didn't know how to contact you when you were out of action, but was praying for you. So glad that you are slowly improving. Take care of yourselves.
Those are lovely papers sitting on your desk - enjoy using them for that page. The books look fascinating - it's so amazing how beautiful nature is, and it is so close - we only have to pop out into the garden to see so much.
Take care. God bless.
Margaret #3

Helen said...

Glad you are both recovering, if slowly. the books sound interesting! Take care and stay safe. Helen #1

My name is Cindy said...

Hi Elizabeth! Glad to hear you have been getting in touch with nature! I love being in my garden, I'm getting obsessed with counting the number of bees. We also had an unusual visitor yesterday and today, a hummingbird moth. Very pretty little thing. The only way I am keeping sane is to just keep going on from day to day. Some weeks it is harder than others I have to admit. I really hope you don't have further lockdowns - fingers crossed! Happy Wednesday, stay safe, stay well, Cindy #15

Karen said...

Hi! How sweet to hear that people reached out and carried you through. I did a lot of scrapbooking in the beginning of the lock down and I hope to get back into that grove again soon. Looks like a great collection of books too ~ Stay well & enjoy the rest of the week

Felix the Crafty Cat said...

I was early starting but late finishing but what the heck, better late than never Hey! Pleased to see you around. It's been a hard few months. Both my parents had the Virus but mum is getting much better now thank goodness with help, not easy at 92 so I understand what you've gone through. Take care and have a happy creative week, Angela x10x

Sarah Brennan said...

No need to apologise for anything Elizabeth. The new scrapbook layout looks pretty, perfect for the intended picture. Funny that I have swapped from actual books to my Kindle at the moment. Hope hubby is feeling fitter soon and that you stay fit too. Stay safe and Happy WOYWW. Sarah #6

Twiglet said...

So good to see you blogging and glad you are both OK. It has been a long tiresome time for you both and not looking like it's going away anytime soon. So, thank goodness for crafting! It has certainly helped keep me sane and I really haven't had anything to stress about so I count myself very lucky indeed. Popped to see Annie today and she updated me. Sending big hugs to you both. Now I am going to look through some of your old posts to look for some good books to read. xx Jo

Susan Renshaw said...

And I am very late visiting!
It is lovely to have a real hard copy in your hands , isn't it?
I think crafting is the only thing keeping me sane at the moment. 5 weeks of severe restrictions here in Victoria - and my Dad's funeral last week...
Keep well!
Susan #13

Julia Dunnit said...

Well, if we’re going to compete over lateness......!! It’s a charm, a bloody relief and a joy to see you here our Elizabeth and it doesn’t matter when or how long or how many or how few visits you make, we’re all flexible and this is me at to be a fun part of your mid week! It’s great that you’re back to some scrapping (and what fab LOs they have been, too). Luck not premonition I’m sure, but the kits save you a lot of energy and faffing I bet. Gorgeous pic of your cousin btw!