Wednesday 24 May 2017

WOYWW 416 - Celebrating 8 Marvelous Years!



Yes, we're celebrating! It's the 416th week of Julia's What's On Your Workdesk Wednesday. That's 8 years she's been turning up every Wednesday (with the exception a few when LLJ magnificently stood in for her) on the Stamping Ground to reveal her desk and encourage us to show ours too. It's an wonderful achievement and one I appreciate so very much. Where else could we crafters 'meet'up on a regular basis and share what's on, or not on, our desks and chat about crafting. It's a date I, personally, don't like to miss - I get withdrawal symptoms if I do.

There's plenty of stuff on my desk today but not much actual crafting going on. I'm still in the throes of the clean up operation. How can one person collect so much stash??? So today sees me sorting out embellishments (in the wee black basket) into colour-coded boxes. The boxes were originally intended to hold photographs but now that the photos are in albums - up to the year 2000 so far, still a way to go yet! - the boxes could have been surplus to requirements had I not thought to re-purpose them. As well as the usual bits and bobs that have a permanent place on my desk there is, for one week only, a pile of ink pads, a jar of black embossing powder and a pile of stamps waiting to be pressed into service. They're mostly scrapbook themed sets,
This set includes a stamp for the year 2014 - that will come in handy if I every get around to scrapping photos taken in that year!

You can just about see the lovely view from the window. It's looking particularly nice with the lilac tree (in a neighbouring garden) in bloom. Purple lilacs. However, I thought you might like to see what I can see if I look up.
A trio of tiny glass panels that were a gift from a friend a few years ago when she returned from a city break in Prague. The colours have faded over time but I rather like them like that.

I was going to tell you how lovely it was to sit here and listen to a bird chirping, quite loudly, just outside the window but it was much more exciting than that. It was a baby sparrow and it was chirping away on the hall landing windowsill behind me! I've no idea how it got in - there's a window open a crack in the bathroom so that hardly seems likely. Maybe it flew in when himself left the back door wide open earlier - it's a habit he has. Whatever, it had moved in and we had a job trying to encourage this tiny little fledgling to leave through the hall window ... it was having none of it. It flew into the craftroom and I hastily went around closing room doors - I'm sure it didn't need a guided tour. Eventually, himself managed to capture and release the wee thing back into the garden and it didn't seem any the worse for the experience. We, on the other hand, were quite shaken and in need of a recuperating cuppa. And as excuses for being late to the party go, I think this one is my best so far. :)

All I have to do now is link up at Julia's to join in with the ATC swap. I've made quite a few already, and I'm quite happy to make a few more so if you would like to swap me let me know, and email your postal address too.




Before I go though, I just want to say my thoughts are with the people who have suffered in any way from the dreadful terrorist attack in Manchester. The city means so much to us, it's my second home, I lived there for years and, indeed, my dear husband is a Mancunian. My heart goes out to Manchester.
 

18 comments:

Annie said...

Hello Ellie. I was beginning to think you weren't joining in the celebrations today. I love your reason for your lateness and of course you're forgiven.....after all you're a life saver.
Isn't this a wonderful group we are part of? I hate to miss it too.
Sending you much love and a big hug for you and your hubby....I hope he's now well on the road to recovery.
Annie x #16

shazsilverwolf said...

Hi Elizabeth, I love lilac trees. They smell so wonderful. I'd love to swap ATC's with you, I'll email you my addy in a moment. Totally agree about how much craft stuff we collect, I think it multiplies at night in the dark! Have a lovely week, Love & Hugs, Shaz #7 XxX

Darlene said...

Hi Elizabeth - luv the glass panels. Rooms are always in constant clean up LOL. then you find something you haven't seen in awhile and get distracted hehehehe. for the ATC trade - email at darlwright@hotmail.com and I will send you one.
Darlene # 43

Helen said...

well that is the best excuse I have heard in 8 years... glad you got the baby bird out though, it sounds tricky! He could have got very lost in amongst your desk!! Happy WOYWW Helen #2

Plush Possum Studio said...

Thoughts and prayers are with all of your "Mancunians." Blessings and Happy 8th!
Rose of Rose's Art Garden #50

Twiglet said...

Happy 8th WOYWW anniversary! Your desk looks suitably busy! We are so lucky to be part of the WOYWW sharing, caring community of like minded folk - long may it last! x Jo

Bubbles said...

I think it's best never to ponder on how we acquire so much crafty stuff... just use it lol
Have a Wonderful Wednesday!
Bubbles #36
http://patchworkapples.blogspot.co.uk/2017/05/woyww-416.html

FLR said...

8 years! WOW! Wish you all the best for your husband! I´m glad I found this community...even though I´m not a scrapbooker ;-)
groetjes
Francisca

Lunch Lady Jan said...

I love lilac trees, they're so fragrant, especially at twilight. The story about the little bird made me laugh, I'm so glad you got it out - maybe you should have had a wee dram to help settle your nerves (any excuse, eh?!)
Thanks for being such a great supported of my blog over the past few years, I really appreciate it :-D
Hugs, LLJ 9 xxx

glitterandglue said...

Hi Elizabeth. Happy 8th WOYWW anniversary. I reckon that excuse is as good as any I have ever heard. Glad the little fella was safe, though. Your desk looks so much better than mine - and I'm not trying to sort out - simply make more cards and stuff.
Take care. God bless.
Margaret #5

Stacy Sheldon said...

ooh what an adventure with the baby bird glad you all survived in good shape I bet that was nerve wracking while it was going on. :) ~Stacy #42

pearshapedcrafting said...

What a lovely excuse, although I do know what you mean about being shaken - we had a bird in ages ago and I remember chasing around to try to capture it without it getting injured! Your desk has at least the regulation 12x12 inches for working in so you can get on with something when you are ready!! I will e-mail you with my snail mail address! Chrisx 48

Kim said...

Happy 8th Anniversary!Sorting the embellishment stash has got to be quite the task! And I'm with you being shaken up when birds (and bats) get inside! WHile I want to help them, it totally freaks me out. Have a great week.
-K #39/40

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

I had to laugh, Elizabeth. I was putting a window AC in my office (the whole house AC just doesn't keep the room cool enough, especially with all the electronics there) and a bird flew in the window. Like you, I closed all the doors, but Bleubeard (before Squiggles was born) was anxious to play with the bird and chased it into oblivion. I finally opened the front door and eventually, the bird flew out. Sadly it left it's "mark" (aka poop) on window blinds and any furniture it landed on. So I can empathize and am glad I don't have to clean up your rooms.

I can see a use for those stamps, even if they are for 2014. They have some great date and day sayings.

Sorry I'm late in visiting. I had a commitment today, so had to be away from the computer. Happy 8th Anniversary from # 1.

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

I forgot to mention that your comment about Manchester really got to me. I am so sorry this terrible terrorist attack happened. I can tell it affected both you and your husband deeply.

Lindart said...

I just loved the tiny sparrow story - it made me laugh out loud! Reminds me of a time when we had the same experience with a squirrel...have fun with your sorting! Happy 8th WOYWW anniversary! Lindart #51

Dorlene Durham said...

Your bird story was so funny. I think I would have freaked out but I'm glad it all worked out. Thanks for visiting me earlier. Dorlene #49

Sarah Brennan said...

Wow, glad you managed (and himself) managed to help the bird. I am late visiting because I haven't managed to check the latest list since Early Wednesday and I'm gradually catching up with everyone. Good luck with the embellishment sorting. Sarah #27