Saturday 6 October 2012

On The Dark Side ... Experimenting with Twinkling H2Os and Recycling

Hi Everyone,

This is a scheduled post because I'm playing hookie and going in search of a little literary culture today, I may be gone some time ... but I will be back :))

While I'm MIA, I thought you might like to see what I've been messing around with today. I finally broke open the set of Twinkling H2Os I treated myself to last month, the Summer Fun set ... I can't believe it has taken me this long! Anyway, here's how a piece of black card - recycled embossing folder packaging - looked after I brushed it with  some H2Os.


Not too impressive, huh! The black card has a shiny finish to it so after spritzing with water, as per the queen of H2Os, Sheena Douglas's, instructions, the paints just settled into bubbles and it looked pretty disastrous :( The colours applied are Sea Spray, Just Peachy, which looks nothing like what I would consider a peach shade, and Mango Freeze. However, after it had dried I went ahead and embossed it anyway ... what the heck, it was only a bit of secondhand card :) And, surprisingly, it looked much better but I still thought it needed a little something else so I dug out the Rub 'n Buffs, bought for a song some months ago, and applied Autumn Gold - how appropriate - and Patina and I think you can see what a vast improvement.


So from looking quite unpromising at the start, I think it now looks great. Not a bad first attempt and I'm pretty chuffed with the finished card. Here's a close up of the detail.


I think I'm in love with Twinkling H2Os - what do you think?

Materials used:
Cardstock: a square black card base - mine came from The Works some time last year, inexpensive and wasting away in my stash of stash; teal blue smooth cardstock for layering; the piece of black packaging card - also has a shiny finish
Twinkling H2Os from the Summer Fun set
Cuttlebug embossing folder, Kassie's Brocade
Rub 'n Buff, Autumn Gold and Patina
Embellishments: teal organza ribbon and turquoise gems from stash

I'm submitting this to the following challenges:

Scrap It With a Song - Dark Side by Kelly Clarkson
Alphabet Challenge Blog - R for Recycle, Repurpose

That's my lot for this post. I hope you have a great Saturday and I'll see you sometime on Sunday. I'm taking my camera so, be warned, I'll be snapping lots of bookshops and bookish folk enjoying chat with more bookish folk and admiring book displays ... I know how to live :))

In the meantime, happy crafting,


22 comments:

scrappymo! said...

Well, first off, I think your Day today and tomorrow sound wonderful!!! Everyoe needs some bookish stuff!!! DH would agree too! He is a great reader.

I was grinning when I read your post. i have the rub an buff too! And...I have NEVER used it!!!
Embarasing, but true!

I think H2O's are probably the only thing I don't own! The rst all sits in the same waiting to be used closet.

Your card looks great. I wasn't too sure before you embossed it...but then I loved it! Wha a difference that made!!!

Hope you have a fun time and once better , think I am inspired enough to crack open my rub'n'buff!

Bernie said...

Oh Elizabeth this is absolutely breathtaking. BEAUTIFUL!
Hugs
Bernie

Anonymous said...

Wow, what an amazing effect, the colours are fantastic.

Not heard of the products you've used but will check them out. Sign, possibly more goodies to add to my wish list :)

Have a great time away xxx

Jackie said...

What a stunning effect, it's beautiful :o)
Jackie xx

Marie-Louise said...

Absolutely beautiful Elizabeth - me thinks Rub 'n Buff is going to have to be purchased. Hope you have a lovely weekend - enjoy your trip.

Rita said...

Wow Elizabeth ,this card is Stunning, the colours are so beautiful. Hope you enjoy your day at Whithorn. Hugs Rita xx

Angie said...

Hope you are having a great time ...That card is so rich and gorgeous looking. xx

Sandra H said...

Gosh Elizabeth, This is totally beautiful xx

Wishcraft said...

Elizabeth this looks fabulous! What a gorgeous effect and a lovely card :o) Hugs, Lisa x

Roxx.T Barnes said...

Umm I like the idea of literary culture.I sure could use a good book to get lost in.Love your card & the rub n buff is a nice touch..perfect for embossing!

Thanks for joining us at Alphabet Challenge Blog.
Roxx.T

Carla said...

Wow - very pretty!! Thanks so much for sharing your work with us at Scrap it with a Song!

Cass said...

That is so beautiful...

Cassidy xx

tiffany said...

going on a search for literary culture sounds wonderful! Thanks for joining in the challenge at Scrap It With a Song=) Tiffany

Unknown said...

Wow! That turned out brilliantly! I love the colours you've used and a great bit of recycling!

Thanks for joining us at the Alphabet Challenge Blog!

Sheena
xxx

Unknown said...

Beautiful!! Love it! Thanks for joining us at Scrap it with a Song. Shelley

Dana Tatar said...

Gorgeous card! I love the background you created with Twinkling H2Os! Thanks for playing along at Scrap it with a Song!

Nicole Doiron said...

wow! Such a cool technique!!! I love the finished result! Thanks for sharing and for playing along with us at Scrap It with a Song!

Janet M said...

Nice card and some great techniques on it.
Thanks for joining us at Scrap it with a Song.

Becky said...

That background is stunning! The colors are mixed beautifully. Thanks for joining us at Scrap it With a Song!

ufoide@gmail.com said...

wonderful!!!!!!!!!!!!I really love it :) Thanks for joining us at Scrap it with a Song.

wendipooh13 said...

K WOW!!!! That is amazing!!!! How gorgeous!!!! thanks sooo much for plaing along with Scrap it with a Song!!!!!

Lynn and Paul said...

Wow beautiful experimentation.

Thanks for playing along with Scrap it with a Song!

Lynn x